Cheezy Pig Nuts
Huddie Lee Stokes - StokesBBQ
For 25-30 balls
For the meatballs:
- 500 g minced pork (or 500 g pork sausages, skin removed)
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of coriander of about 30 g, finely chopped leaves
- 100 g mozzarella julienne (Hanos) or grated young cheese
- 30 g Serial Grillaz Pork Perfection Rub
- pepper and salt (optional)
- 25-30 slices of bacon
For the sauce:
Step 1: Heat your barbecue to a temperature between 180 and 220°C. Meanwhile, knead all ingredients for the meatballs, except the bacon, with salt and pepper to taste. Form beautiful balls that are about the size of a golf ball. Wrap each ball with a slice of bacon and fix with a cocktail stick.
Step 2: Place the apple chunk (s) between the glowing charcoal and set up your barbecue for indirect preparation. Place the cheezy pig nuts on the grid, close the barbecue and let them smoke for 30-35 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the ingredients for the sauce.
Step 3 : Open the barbecue and brush the cheezy pig nuts with the sauce. Turn them over and cover this side so that they are painted all around. Close the barbecue and let it cook for another 2-5 minutes so that the sauce pulls a little into the cheezy pig nuts .
Tip: I prefer to cook the cheezy pig nuts hot and fast , so that the bacon is nice and crispy. But you can also prepare them low and slow , making the bacon softer. Then maintain a temperature of approximately 110°C and let it cook for 45-50 minutes.